Thursday, April 13, 2017

Week 79 in Ha'apai

This past week was pretty good as usual. Not much new though. 

On Tuesday we got round 2 of mashed potatoes. That was absolutely delicious and this time I went another three plates full of em. So good. I miss american food. Can't wait to eat breakfast again. 

We didnt have many teachings in the beginning of the week, but towards the end we got some good onesWeee. We're preparing a girl named Mele for baptism, and her teachings have been going well. 

On thursday Siale and I found ourselves discussing old tv shows, focusing on the Power Rangers. Brought back that memory when I was four or five in mexico, and I think Whitney was visiting, we drove past the outdoor playset park with all the wood chips and then stopped at a movie rental store and I got the power rangers movie of the time. Went down the stairs to my room in the basement and turned it on in the old vcr tv that sat on the dresser. Good times, good memory. I remember that time specifically because I was drinking red cool aid on the bed while watching and I spilt it all over, so I took precautionary measures in hiding the spill from mom. Anyway that was a nice memory to have. a little throwback. 

Friday we taught a girl named Alisi about the restoration of the gospel. It was a great lesson. She loved learning about the apostasy because she had always wondered why there were so many different churches and sets of differing christian beliefs, when the original church that Christ established through his apostles taught one set doctrine. Good lesson.

Friday night, we were able to teach Naki and Taufa about the gospel and the atonement and so on. It was a great lesson. One of those lessons where they start out wanting to argue things and not really wanting to listen, but then you're able to get away from that and by the end of the lesson you can see the light and understanding shining from their eyes, it's awesome. Such a great great great feeling. Truth has a way of testifying of itself. It was just really cool to see the change in the entire way that they held themselves and from wanting to debate to wanting to listen and learn. At the end of the lesson, Taufa asked us "when are we going to speak again?" and added "I want to know more about your church." That, is one of the best feelings in the world. 

I love teaching, especially when the spirit can testify to these people of truth and you can see the understanding and desire in their eyes. It is the most fulfilling work I have ever been a part of. I'm going to miss teaching when I get released back home. 

General Conference was also this past week here in Tonga. So that was awesome. Conference is like Christmas for us out here. Always great to listen to the living Apostles and Prophet.

Okay, and now one of the coolest parts of the week.... Before we left home on Friday after studies, Siale was shuffling cards, and so I said "wait let me pull out some cards from the top of the deck" (just wanting to do it noa ia and see what I get, nothing really in mind) and then I pulled out the cards, which read of the exact time of day to the minute (straight coincidence). and I told Siale "look at the time." we were both blown away, but then I tried to play it off as if I did it like a magic trick. He didnt believe me though.  But Siale has been trying to figure out "how I did it" ever since. Pretty funny. 

Good week. 

Ofa atu kiamoutolu taki taha, Taylor

No comments:

Post a Comment